Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Parenting vs Coaching

As a coach I carefully watch each athlete's movements. I keep detailed records of each one of my athletes. I can tell you that athlete R has a goofy elbow, athlete M has horrible shin splints when she runs, and athlete C is never fully confident that she is going to get the lift, even when the lift is over. I can tell you which days in the last year (that they have been training with me) that the athlete was sick and what they were sick with. I can tell you when their anniversary is, and what their favorite pass times are. 

A good coach knows more about their athletes than just their numbers. 
A good coach knows their lives, their stories, their dreams. 

Parenting is no different. 

The definition of a coach is someone who instructs or trains a performer or team. The definition of a parent is to raisebring up, look after, take care of. Being a coach and being a parent really aren't that different, and yet I struggle more with one than I do with the other.

People ask me often if it is hard to run a garage gym ministry and have two children under the age of two. I will be honest, there are days where it is very challenging. The selfish side of me would love to get through coaching all of my classes without my son interrupting. I would love to get through my own personal training without having to stop to nurse the 4 month old. But that is just my selfish sin nature talking.

When an athlete comes in my gym I ask them how they are feeling, if anything hurts. I ask them about their weekend. I listen to their marriage struggles, personal difficulties, and parenting challenges. 

Do I offer the same dedication to my children? 

Today I was convicted about exactly that. I was trying to coach my beginner athlete class. It is loud, hot, and I am tired from being up with the 4 month old in the middle of the night.   

As I was rubbing my pounding head, my not quite two year old went outside the garage and picked up a handful of crepe myrtle flowers from the ground and brought them to me. Instead of graciously accepting his precious gift, I barked at him to get out of the gym. Seeing his little face fall, as he is still trying to give me his flowers, my heart broke. God spoke to my heart through the big blue eyes of my oldest son. Today God reminded me that my job is to care for, teach, and minister to my family first. I need to remember my calling from God, and not worry about what other people will think. I can't make an idol of coaching exactly the way we would in the classes where there are no children. 

That just isn't reality.  

I had a very wise friend remind me recently that God has given me these precious little boys for a short time, and that time is flying by. 
Lets do a little math right quick:
There are roughly 52 Saturdays in a  calendar year. 
That means that we have roughly 936 Saturdays from the time your child is born until your child leaves for college. 
William is 20 months old. 
We have used up 87 Saturdays of his life already. 
We only have 849 Saturdays left with him. 


That is it.

So now my focus is going to change a bit. 

Don't worry, I will still correct form, I will still be an aggressive coach for my athletes, but secondary to being a godly parent for my sons.

8 comments:

  1. StaminaMaker
    https://www.staminamaker.com/
    . This machine has a terrible rating of one out of five. For a trifling growth of $30, the Stamina Silent Magnetic Resistance motorcycle (15-4800A) is a far higher purchase. It's design and creation is higher than the 15-4600A. There are 6 preset exercising programs and, with this version, you do get hand grip pulse sensors. The resistance still handiest comes with eight degrees and you need to manually regulate it with a knob, but that's could you'll assume at this charge

    ReplyDelete
  2. healthinsideinfo
    co-pays, and deductibles. 6. Access to doctors, hospitals, and other providers. 7. How much and sometimes how one pays for care. 8. Any existing health issue or physical disability. 9. Type of tax savings available.
    https://www.healthinsideinfo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. weightlosscharitychallenge
    Moderate walking, jogging, tennis, swimming and dancing are all helpful activities that bring forth positive results. - Nutrition is also essential to good health which in itself helps eliminate the strong habit of negative thinking, often concerning health worries
    https://weightlosscharitychallenge.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. evianne cream
    http://www.virgildizon.com/evianne-cream /
    rapid fast keto boost
    http://www.virgildizon.com/rapid-fast-keto-boost/
    The starting of insulin depends on several factors that include the length of time being a diabetic, blood sugar level, current medications and the patents overall health. It has been found that pills help the body make better use of insulin

    ReplyDelete
  5. synapse xt
    Weight loss essentials eat a larger number of calories than you utilize and youll put on weight utilize more than you eat and youll lose it

    ReplyDelete
  6. loss, and builds up your muscles endurance. Do as many minutes of cardiovascular exercise that you can, following

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okinawa flat belly tonic
    allow you to eat their special cookies for most meals along with their preplanned menu or diets that attempt to have you

    ReplyDelete
  8. resurge In this newsletter I will answer those questions and tell you approximately most considerable forms of weight reduction eating regimen drugs. How every type works and what to expect and avoid.

    ReplyDelete

We hope you enjoyed our post today. Please remember that this is a Christian blog. Profane, vulgar or threatening comments will be removed and the user will be blocked. Thank you for keeping our little corner of the internet bright!