Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Modesty in the Gym

We have had a bunch of people ask us about modesty in the gym. How does it work? What are the rules? Why does it matter?

Today I'm going to address those issues for y'all. Modesty is one of the number one reasons that we (the Farr family) don't work out at a Crossfit gym. For us personally being in that environment is not a good thing. At most boxes (Crossfit gyms) you will see women in sports bras and super short tight shorts and shirtless men. It is just the reality. We have chosen to not participate in that part of the fitness world. We want to honor Christ with our fitness while keeping our minds and hearts pure from sexual temptation. 

People often respond to this by saying, "But Morgan, you could still go even if Brian can't". And I want to address that right now. Moral purity is not something that just men struggle with. Women fight that battle too, we just tend to be less honest about it. Being a follower of Christ Jesus means that I need to honor Christ and my husband by not allowing my eyes to linger on a shirtless dude in the gym. 

So that is why it matters, but what are the rules for our gym and how does it work? Our gym rules are that modesty is the goal. The reality is that is going to look different for each athlete. I am going to be very frank here in my descriptions because I think beating around the bush leaves room for grey areas.  

For women:
I don't want to see you butt cheeks or your boobs. I have my own set, I don't need to see yours. Shorts need to cover everything during your movements meaning, if you do a 3rd world squat I shouldn't be able to see your underwear, if I can your shorts are too short. 

For men: 
Leave your shirts on. If we (the ladies) don't take ours off, you don't take yours off. I'm sure you're super awesome, but sexual sin works both ways. And if you have to take your shirt off to lift you're doing something wrong. With your shorts, what applies for the women applies for you. 

The moral of the story is, we want to honor God and the people around us. We don't want our physical bodies to mess up our spiritual fitness. If you have questions about modesty or why it is important feel free to contact us at FarrFunctionalFitness@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We hope you enjoyed our post today. Please remember that this is a Christian blog. Profane, vulgar or threatening comments will be removed and the user will be blocked. Thank you for keeping our little corner of the internet bright!